Growth mindset

Forum Homepage Forums Facilitation Tips Growth mindset

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jared OLearyJared OLeary
      Keymaster

How do you encourage coders/facilitators to develop a growth mindset?

Jared OLearyJared OLeary
      Keymaster

Previous responses:

• Many students come into our classrooms with a fixed mindset, meaning they more or less think that the knowledge they have is all that they will ever have. In order to change that mindset, it is important to save the early projects/work that the students do in your class so that later in the year you can have them compare what they can currently do to their earlier work. This, along with other growth mindset strategies, will help students to fully realize just how much their knowledge has grown.
      • Although I am new to coding, I saw how important having a growth mindset can be in coding. Some students are not used to having to work or fail before success. Coding will create opportunities for students to work through problems. Not only that but also realize there is more than one right way to solve a problem.
      • Response to above – I think it is super important for us to be the star example of demonstrating a growth mindset. Many of the teachers who are now being introduced to coding are in the “deer in the headlights” stage, and it is a perfect teaching opportunity for them to say to their students, “I am having to demonstrate a growth mindset by learning this now too!”
      • Response to above – I definitely agree! There were many complicated questions kids would ask about coding that I initially didn’t know right away; however, I made a point to let them know I didn’t know the answer right then and would come the following day explaining not only what the answer was, but how I found the answer (e.g., an external resource, looking at someone else’s code, online discussion forums, etc.).
      • Making sure kids are helping each other and that the best way to learn is threw trial and error. Each day share success and new things that were learned.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.