Science

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Jared OLearyJared OLeary
      Keymaster

How could you integrate coding with science? What BootUp projects (platform and lesson number) integrate well with this subject area? What additional ideas, resources, projects, etc. might assist with this kind of integration?

See this studio for some ideas.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Jared OLearyJared OLeary.
      Jared OLearyJared OLeary
      Keymaster

Previous responses:

• Here are some ScratchEd resources on science that might be useful.
      • Joshua a teacher in Ogden, Utah had this idea for ScratchJr Project 2 “Can’t Stop Dancing”: “While learning the new blocks (repeats/events/etc.), students could be made aware of the connection to the scientific method, specifically experimentation/trial and error (i.e. “if I change this block, what happens? If I want to have my scratch cat do a particular action, what block do I need?).”
      • This website has some resources on integrating computational thinking into science. Note, many of these resources are for older kids.
      • This resource from Ignite My Future in School provides curriculum connections between computational thinking and science
      • Our grade teaches animal habitats. I think integrating scratch when teaching this would be very interactive. Students could create various habitats and incorporate animals that could be found in those habitats.
      • I can see using some of the lessons for our life cycles unit in science to create the process
      • Model ScratchJr#10 Randomized Synthesis could be used for assessment or a year end review. Load sprites/words that pertain to your unit and when kids get ‘Describe Evaporation Water Cycle’, for example, they would create a project that demonstrated their words.
      Jared OLearyJared OLeary
      Keymaster

Here’s a link to a website with a couple of tutorials for middle school Scratch projects about cells in your body.

Cayme OlsenCayme Olsen
      Participant

Scratch can be an option for students to develop models and show interactions in an ecosystem.

Jared OLearyJared OLeary
      Keymaster

Agreed, Cayme! I actually just uploaded a short project on simulating rain with ScratchJr, so it could definitely be done in Scratch.

Sally PeadSally Pead
      Participant

Third Grade Science Core: Forces cause changes in the speed or direction of the motion of an object. The greater the force placed on an object, the greater the change in motion. The more massive an object is, the less effect a given force will have upon the motion of the object. Earth’s gravity pulls objects toward it without touching them.

Students can use the ‘Fidget Spinner’ lesson to use spin and repeat. If students can use broadcast that works well too to have one sprite control another sprite. Students can animate motion slowing down because of friction or stop when it hits another sprite.

Rebecca TrafnyRebecca Trafny
      Participant

Students could code the different steps in the water cycle. Creating movement – costume changes for each state of water, etc.

Rachel GrindstaffRachel Grindstaff
      Participant

If you are talking about habitats, then you can do a day in the life of an animal

Rachel GrindstaffRachel Grindstaff
      Participant

We were thinking that you could basically do any kind of cycle in science… life cycle, weather cycles, rock cycle

Jennifer WilsonJennifer Wilson
      Participant

My 6th graders are learning about Thermal Energy. Students could create molecules that have more energy and ones that have less energy and show how they transfer energy b/w the two when they collide.

Tess KofrothTess Kofroth
      Participant

I can use Scratch in showing the effects of forces and newton’s laws.
      i.e.Inertia through the bump, start

Emily De JongEmily De Jong
      Participant

Weather and Seasons
      I had my class choose an outdoor background and add types of weather sprites such as sun, clouds, lightning, rain,etc… They also could add wind with things blowing as well as appropriate clothing on sprites. We took a gallery walk to see different types of weather and seasons and talked about each one to compare.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.