Social Studies or History

Forum Homepage Forums Classroom Integration Integrating by Subject Social Studies or History

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jared OLearyJared OLeary
      Keymaster

How could you integrate coding with social studies or history? What BootUp projects (platform and lesson number) integrate well with this subject area? What additional ideas, resources, projects, etc. might assist with this kind of integration?

See this studio for some ideas.

• This topic was modified 10 months, 4 weeks ago by Jared OLearyJared OLeary.
      Jared OLearyJared OLeary
      Keymaster

Previous responses:

• Here are some ScratchEd resources on Social Studies that might be useful!
      • Paul a teacher in Ogden, Utah had this idea for ScratchJr Project #3 “Dance Party”: “Different cultures have different dances, you can have the kids try to show that in their projects.
      • This website has some resources on integrating computational thinking into social studies. Note, many of these resources are for older kids.
      • This resource from Ignite My Future in School provides curriculum connections between computational thinking and social studies
      • I can see how using Scratch Jr can help with directional concepts and maps using the coding of west, east, north south, and be able to give specific directions to others with even the reverse engineering lessons
      • In Lesson #10 in Scratch, instead of having students created their own story, you can read a short biography of a historical character, have them storyboard it and then create it in Scratch.

BootUp Lesson #4 would work great for a lesson on how a bill becomes a law. You could start out with a dollar bill and have it move to different places. At those places it could disappear and a part of the process could appear and tell what happens. The song from Schoolhouse Rock “I’m Just a Bill” could be playing in the background.

Jolene JohnsonJolene Johnson
      Participant

5th graders need to participate in the wax museum, where they will share information about a famous people. You can have students create an interactive collage (lesson 2) where they click on the sprites and it gives information about their famous person. You could also have them do the animated card activity (lesson 6) where the sprite shares various facts that student need to memorize for their presentation.

Josie ParkerJosie Parker
      Participant

I could see using Lesson number 9 as a way for students to use the location of states for the colonies. I would also use many of these lessons for Wax Museum that we do yearly, if I could have technology access to our gym.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.